Saturday 4 December 2010

212 Working to a Photographic Brief.

CITY AND GUILDS UNIT  212

With the choice of film or digital cameras these days, my choice of camera has been the DSLR. This is because I have now taken on the challenge of using Digital photography. It is interesting to note that the best of the modern photographers were well schooled in the art of film photography. Therefore, the way that I will be looking is the way the photographic image is produced and manipulated will be based on the way the digital world works.
Each assignment and project will require different time scales and various different locations. Each photographer is an individual and will approach an assignment in a different way, therefore the approaches will be different, as will the costs and variety of each image and shoot.

Elements of a project brief
The concept of the idea is the first thing that comes to mind, as is what and how you are going to photograph. The next step is to work the idea given within the brief that has been given to you. The following step is to ascertain what the final image the client is after and to which format. Who is to provide the model, accessories props etc is the next step. Location of course is a vital consideration, studio or on location, as is the time of year should an outdoor location shoot be required.
The aim of my brief either is to produce an A4 book, online or printed, and each image being shown in various ways. The research element is to be viewed separately for the details of the idea in mind.

Imaging approaches

With digital images these days there are so many solutions as to how to present them, the choice is very wide. First of all you have the home, or your own printer setup, printing solution, then the opportunity to go to a photographers or similar shop to get you prints done (Boots as an example). There are various on-line facilities, of which there are many.
However, the final images must meet the criteria set by the client, or you own personal preference.
It is best to decide how you are to approach the shooting techniques, whether to shoot with just a memory card in the camera, tether the camera to a laptop or PC, or both, depending on the situation.
There are also so many ways to save digital images. The method chosen depends on the longevity requirement for the images, and future proofing images is also a consideration with the rapid changes in technology. CD/DVD is one solution but there are a couple of considerations. Some advertising images but are not necessarily needed to be kept, but some are. Images can be stored on servers and PC’s, either “at home” or on server farm remotely. The final presentation has to be considered when deciding upon how to store and present the images. Advertising images are generally used in magazines and on posters, so when taking the images, and as part of the shoot, this has to be built into the planning part of the shoot.

Estimate of resources

The resources I would need are:
Time to prepare the outcome
My relevant choice of equipment to use, i.e. camera, selection of lenses, flash units, external lighting source, telephone, props etc
Provision of power packs etc to suit lighting and/or other electrical equipment e.g a laptop. Batteries can be included here.
Use, or loan, or hire of car/s, model/s, jewellery, shoes etc
Decide what items to buy to complete brief eg shoes
Location or studio as required
Background, either on location or in the studio
Time scale required
PC or MAC to post produce images with relevant software to suit.
Transport to the location where required

Imaging approaches
The first approach was a location shoot using a car and model.
This involved sourcing all three parts.
The first was a phone call to a friend who knew someone who had a Ferrari, then obtaining a model and sourcing some accessories, and finally a location.
I spoke to the Ferrari owner, who said we could use his car, who then offered his hotel as a location. My assistant and I did a pre- shoot to investigate the location, and deciding where we would locate the car to shoot, and some trial shots using our car. We then did another trial shoot at college to work out how to light the car with the equipment we had to borrow from the college. 

Estimate of time
This will depend on the nature of the job, and the experience of the photographer, and will also have to fit in with the clients requirements. This can be a quite difficult part of the excercise, but experience will bw a valuable commodity here.


Estimate of costs
My job as a photographer is to provide the best photography for my client, to meet his needs. To do this a workflow is needed (see separate Item), and time needs to be taken to think through the process of the job at hand.
When the layout has been produce then I need to go through the job step by step, as every detail is important.
For this particular brief the following applies, as it is in two parts.
On location:-
Time a) phone calls to arrange date and details 2 hrs
          b) set up time, preparations for the shoot.
         c) ensure all props are prepared and reday for use
         d) ensure all models/ equipment/articles to photographed are ready
         e ) if on location outdoors be prepared for any changes in the weather. cloud cover etc.

Workflow
1.      Plan for every part of the project. What is it I am going to create? What is the end product? If I want images for the web, resolution is not as important. If I want to print, then I need to know the target resolution and the required colour profile of the output device. I also need to know the file format requirements for the final media, which is a printed book and web images. I need to scout the location. What time of day is the best time to photograph? Limited on car shoot by access to cars etc. I need to visualise the photograph I want to take and the tones I want in the end product. I need to think about how to highlight the fashion accessories, and what positions I would like to see them in. I need to think about what lenses I am going to use, whether I need lighting or any other special equipment. Consider the use of a tripod etc. Will I need an assistant? Then I need to gather all the equipment and materials I need for the shoot. And to check the weather forecast for an outdoor location shoot, and have a plan B if possible.
2.     Now I need to focus on preproduction. I have scouted the location as part of my planning, and I am starting to visualise my images. I have assembled my lighting and props, umbrellas ,etc . I am now doing lighting checks, and using the tripods. I do need to set up my camera for bracketing and white balance, depending on the final output I require for the book. I need to ensure I have enough battery power available for the shoot, for camera lighting and accessories. Preproduction encompasses all the things I need and want to accomplish prior to shooting.
3.     Record the images as per my visualisation, and show the models the tear sheets so that they have a good idea of what is required of them prior to the shoot. Ideas may change when actually taking the images.
4.   Then I begin my post-production, which in this case means loading the images onto my computer and editing them for cropping, colour, contrast or any other image defects I spot or are not suitable. It may be that minimum editing is required depending on how good the initial shoot was. I then need to prepare the images for production. Printing images may This is the production phase, and the final step. Here is where I decide which printing option I am going to use (I have done this from the beginning), either printing from a local printer or a commercial printer, to be sent in a format that can print from (eg DSCL require jpeg). Resolution and format are key to the photographic reproduction then it is important to plan from the beginning. I can then meet my target as set out from the beginning. The important part is that resolution and output size must be understood during the planning stage, so that I can get to the processing stage with the correct images.

 
Legal considerations
Data protection and confidentiality must not be overlooked, so as protect the identity of the person /s involved. Intellectual rights and intellectual property refers to creative work which can be treated as an asset or physical property. Copyright needs to be established prior to any shoot. Civil law needs to be addressed and not limited to Employers Liability, Protection of Children Act, Criminal Justice Act to name a few. Each project needs to be considered on it's merits and apply the law where necessary.

Health and Safety etc
It is the Employers responsibility to protect the Health and Safety and Welfare of their employees, and other people who might be affected by their business, so far as is reasonably practicable.


1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Highly detailed and very professionally produced, can you nip back and finish this off and draw any conclusions, such as based on this evidence how complex running your own business might be with a variety of client work often running at the same time!!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete