Tuesday 28 December 2010

unit 310- workflow

Workflow for Emma shoot
Once the brief had been given and discussed then it was time to put the wheels in motion to obtain the result. This started with several ideas and phone calls to establish the requirements. What was needed was a model, a car, a location and the equipment.
Emma was contacted and the shoot details were explained and the date suggested, and the location would be advised as soon as it was agreed. I contacted the cars owner and went to see him to discuss the arrangements. He also suggested that I use the location there, which made a practical solution as the car/s would be available all day. A date was set at this point, and was then communicated to Emma, who was available that day.
 I did visit subsequently to prepare for the shoot. In the mean time I obtained some lighting (borrowed from the college, along with an external battery pack), so that I had a choice and did not have to rely on small flash units, or completely on natural light. I had planned to use natural light as best but the additional lighting was part of my backup.
As the shoot was going to be on location, I had to come up with an alternative plan, but I did not have to use it. The alternative would have been to reschedule another day if necessary.
Prior to meeting the owner of the cars, my assistant and I went exploring to seek out some locations. However, once I had agreed the location with the owner of the cars, we went to explore the area to sort out where we could photograph. Once we had done we set up the lights we had borrowed local to the college to understand how they worked and could be used.
Confirmation phone calls were made to confirm the day and set up, and the day turned out to be cool and sunny.
Once the shoot was concluded, everything was packed away and returned from whence it came. The images were downloaded onto my PC and then copied to a separate hard drive as security. From there I deleted the obvious images that were not so good due to eyes being shut, too much highlight, out of focus etc. Then I started to put the images into a separate folder that I could use, and then post produced some of the images.
Below is series of images illustrating the above.

This was a location I thought would be quite good. It was part of the Sudbury Hall estate.

This is another angle that I tried, using the building as a backdrop to the car.

With the car in position it was time to introduce the model (my glamorous assistant), to see how the lighting worked, and how the background would work.

Trying to get some detail shots. 


An even closer detail. more lighting required. Time of day is going to have be thought about.

Detail within the car

This was the first visit to the location of the cars, and after talking to the owner about using his location,
and I thought this might be a good position for the day.
This was the view at the end of the short gravel drive, which I contemplated I might be able to use.

This is the view of the gravel drive, and the trees have still got foliage on, so I can use the shade.

This is the trail to set up the lights, and to make sure they work.

setting up the lights

Detail of the battery pack.

starting to set up the lights.

a 2 light set up

The final result. I now know how the lights work

After setting about the lighting I went back to the location and this was one setup I tried.

This was another set up.

I did note that I had be careful with the reflections on the car body from the lights..

Have to try to elimate distracting reflections.


Using both sunlight and lighting. Underexposed for the background.

Just for fun noted the reflections in the car.

Using software I created a folder for all the images taken. Copied to a seperate hard drive as well. This is shown in Photoshop Bridge.

This is shown within the folder of the images, within Bridge again.


I then choose a selection of images and placed them into another folder for post production.

This is one image that I have post produced. All I have done here is crop the image to the size that require. I have taken note of the image I need when taking the initial image.

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    A rich and varied blog here which looks at the logistics, techniques and kit required for a location shoot which has been very well evidenced. This shows a high level of prep and planning. The shoots after this reflect the fact that you did your ground work in the first place.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete